Thursday, February 26, 2015

My new toy - Silhouette Cameo

Before Christmas I purchased a Silhouette Cameo cutter.  Last week I finally got it out of the box.  I spent almost no time on the "basic" operation, but moved immediately to importing my own files to cut.  I purchased a pattern that uses Go dies but also gives you the forms in case you don't have a cutter.  I scanned this page, imported it to the Cameo, and created the pieces to cut.  I did copy and paste so that I had the number of pieces needed for the pattern.  You Tube was helpful in figuring out how to do this.

I did run in to a few problems, but overall I'm excited that I could make this work.  This opens up more options to combine with my Babylock Destiny.  I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

What you are seeing is the fusible side of my fabric.
I learned the hard way to cut "fabric side up".  The
fabric left a lot of residue on the cutting mat and
decreased the stickiness.  I had trouble with the
last pages through not sticking and getting messed up.
Thanks for checking in.

A new skill developing - using a long arm machine

We have a local business that has long arm machines for rent.  I took the certification class 10 days ago and had my first rental today.  My eyes were too big.  I took in two baby quilts and had another as a back up.  Three hours later I finished the first quilt.  It was fun, but I had to keep reminding myself to relax and flow.  The process is very different from moving fabric under the needle, but I found the swirls fairly easy to handle.  I'm a long way from tackling feathers on this machine.  I relied on the stitch regulator to keep the stitches even.  I did a little ruler work.  Stitching in the ditch with a ruler is much easier when the thread blends in with both fabrics!

I even added some words.

All in all it was a good day.  I had fun and worked on a new skill.

Thanks for checking in.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Machine Quilting workshop

I took a four-day workshop with Jill Schumacher this past week.  I spent most of the time on two quilts.  It was a great time of work and fellowship.  I got lots of great ideas - now to implement them.

This whole cloth on dupioni silk is one of Jill's designs.

The silk is difficult to work with.  It slides all over the place.  Using red, silk thread on a shinny, slippery, red fabric made it difficult to see where I'd been.  I thought black on black was hard!  This is the largest silk pieced I've tried.  32 x 39 inches.

I marked this Thursday night, added the trapunto work Friday in class,
basted it Friday night, and started the quilting Saturday in class.
The feathers are done.  I'm working on the grid work.

This is the quilt I started at a Cindy Needham workshop 1 1/2 years ago.  I needed to do all the background quilting.  I was hoping to finish it for Best of the Valley, but I've decided it bead it so it will have to wait for the 2016 show.  Friends at the workshop helped me decide on what type of beads to use.

I've almost finished the background quilting.
My eyes got tired making all those "pearls".
42 x 42 inches

Thanks for checking in.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Two new tops

Last month my sister-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I decided to make her a quilt to use during chemo treatments.  I went through my stash and put together a top.  The backing is a zebra print flannel.  I didn't do heavy quilting because I wanted it to remain soft and cuddly.

Here's a close up so you can see how it's pieced.  I could have done
a 9-patch with two other blocks, but I wanted to keep that one fabric
a single piece.  There is a block to construct and it goes together
very quickly.

If you followed my Bonnie Hunter mystery, you'll remember I changed out one fabric and ended up making the quilt smaller.  I came across the extra pieces and decided to put them together - somehow.  The final result is pretty busy, but it's bright and cheery for a child's quilt.

Thanks for checking in.