Wednesday, November 30, 2016

En Provence Quiltville Mystery 2016

I'm a little behind, but I do have all my strips cut for Bonnie Hunter's 2016 mystery - En Provence.  I have two deadline quilts I need to get finished before I can concentrate on this year's quilt.

As you can see, my neutrals are white with black.  Other colors are light and
dark purple/violet, aqua, green, and my constant an orange red.
Here's the link to see what everyone is doing.

Thanks for checking in.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Sewing on a rainy Saturday and cutting for En Provence Mystery

Yesterday Bonnie Hunter posted the first clue on her En Provence Mystery.  I immediately cut out my strips to make 221 four-patch units.

I sewed a few strips together using a quarter-inch foot with guide.  I usually
don't use that foot, but thought it would make sewing the strips easier.  It did.
I made up 10 of the 221 units I will need.  My neutrals are white with black.

However, I have to do things in order.  I needed a small "thank you" gift for our guild meeting Monday night.  I couldn't make a decision, but finally settled on small pin cushions.  I have one that I keep on my sewing machine and like having it there.  It's small and stays out of the way.

The base is supposed to be a tea light holder.  These are a bit larger, but it's
what I could get at my local $1 store.  The cushion part is about 2 in across.
Thanks for checking in.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

En Provence Mystery Bonnie Hunter, Quiltville

I'm getting my fabrics together for Bonnie Hunter's 2016 mystery - En Provence.
I used the fabric at the top to gather fabrics.  I did this once before and liked
the results.  Last time this focus fabric did not appear on the front of the quilt.
Not sure what will happen this time. I plan to use the orange-red as my constant.
I'm undecided on my background.  In the photo I have assorted whites or assorted white with black.  I've got 5 days to make a decision.  I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for checking in.

Two finishes!

I'm back after 2 1/2 months.  Where does the time go?

I started a tradition of gifting tree skirts to nephews and nieces when they marry.  This year I had two weddings - May and November.  I'm proud to say I have both skirts finished!  I wanted to give them at Thanksgiving so they could be used this year.

This is the third time I've used this pattern.  Diamond Log Cabin blocks.
6 vertical, 6 horizontal.  Different fabric combinations make it look different.

I tried a different version of a feather.  Curls.

The bride requested black, gold, and cream as her colors.
I first saw this design on Pinterest.  I was trying to figure out the piecing
process when I found out it's in one of the French Braid books by Jane Hardy Miller.

I originally purchased the Christmas boot fabric as a possible backing.
I'm glad I was able to use it on the front of the skirt.
FYI:  The bride and attendants wore boots for the ceremony.
 I thought this was perfect for them

I used the same curly feather in one round, a holly leaf in one,
and generic fills in the rest.
 I've been working on other projects.  One I can't show here until after December 8.  It's an opportunity quilt for one of my guilds and they are not having the reveal until then.

I'm working on a T-shirt quilt for a friend.  I said I would make it after I retired - 5+ years ago!  I finally got started when I realized I could get rid of two boxes from the studio if I just got it done.

Today I embroidered three labels:  Two for the tree skirts and the other for a friend.  I need to keep practicing the process until it becomes natural.

Thanks for checking in.