A few days ago the daily blog for The Quilt Show had a link to a tutorial for fabric sachets.
I decided to make a few because they looked so cute. I ordered the filling from Amazon but it won't arrive until tomorrow. Following a suggestion of the author I went ahead and made the coverings. Now they're ready to fill when UPS makes the delivery!
Of course, I didn't read the directions carefully. Instead of 5 fabrics cut into 12 total strips, I put together 12 fabrics using 1 strip from each. They were already cut when I caught my mistake, so, "Oh Well". After making a few following directions, I went off on my own and just started putting strips together. Then I started using all my scraps and, following crazy quilt techniques, just kept sewing fabric pieces together. From my twelve 1.5 inch strips I ended up with 15 sachet covers! At the end I was really desperate, sewing in tiny pieces, because I decided if I had 15 I could give one to every female present Christmas Eve. Now I hope I have enough filling for all 15. I have no idea of the volume from one pound of lavender and rose.
|All ready to fill and stitch closed.|
Notice there are only 14. After this photo I realized I needed one more.
|This is all that is left of twelve 1/5 inch strips!|
|This is the last one. Look at all the tiny pieces. 4.5 x 5 inches.|