Sunday, August 12, 2018

Two Challenges under way

I am still quilting on a friend's Vintage Moments.  It's taking a lot longer than I anticipated, but I'm now on the last border!  The end is in sight.  I had to leave it for a few days as I have two challenges due the end of August.

One is done except for sewing down the binding, the other I started yesterday.

The challenge for one guild was to use a book from our guild library and either make a quilt from the book or use it as inspiration to make something.  I chose Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth.  I've heard a lot about her, but have never made a quilt using her techniques.  She has a great way to make 4-patch units using 5 inch squares.  I needed a quilt for a new niece, so of course I collected pink 5-inch squares.  (This makes this a two for one quilt!)  I can leave it as is - and 40 inches means I don't have to piece a back - or I'm thinking to add a white border. It's due in two weeks, but that's doable.

40 x 56 inches

Oops.  I should have rotated the shot, but you get the idea.

This next quilt is a playing card challenge for a different guild.  I'm not sure it's obvious, but I drew the Queen of Hearts.  The crown was created in digitizing software.  I've been watching a lot of webinars about drawing your own designs.  I scanned in a black line master that I traced, made it the background art work, and drew my embroidery lines (and curves) on top of that.  I learned a lot!
For the quilting design I used Cindy Needham's template set and rulers I've been collecting for quite some time.  Construction of this quilt was a real learning experience.  I have no idea what to do with it after the guild meeting!?  It's not really something to hang in my home.
25 x 25 inches
Excuse the binder clips.  I still need to stitch down the binding. 
This one is due the day after the pink one.  


Thanks for checking in.

4 comments:

  1. That pink quilt turned out so cute. I do love her methods for using the 5" squares She was a great teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Two great challenges. The crown quilt would be cute for a "little princess"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check with my niece and see if she's interested in the crown quilt.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing.