Thursday, July 9, 2020

June finishes



I'm continuing to make progress on my friendship group WIP (Works in Progress) Challenge.  It's all about working on some of our UFO's.

Sizzle:  
The quilting continues.  I'm not completely done with quilting the blocks, but I've moved on to the background until I can finalize the "what to do" for the blocks.  It made me feel like I was making progress.

Midnight Hibiscus:
I now have the nine blocks complete!  I am changing the sashing and borders from the original pattern.  (Bonnie Hunter, "Emerald City")  I started the quilt in a class last year when Bonnie was the guest teacher for Seven Sisters Quilt Show.

This is only 4 of the 9 blocks.  Blocks are 24 x 24 inches.
All 9 blocks are now sewn.


Speaking of Seven Sisters . . .  June 27 & 28, 2020, would have been our 14th show.  It was a sad week.  I kept thinking of what I should have been doing that entire week: Take a class from Sue Spargo, be on site for pipe and drape installation, hang the show, welcome vendors, welcome attendees, mingle and have fun, take down the show.  As chair, I'm on the grounds all day starting Thursday until the show is dismantled Sunday afternoon.

I did start and finish a graduation quilt for my great-niece.  I told her the end of her senior year may not have been what she expected, but she'll never forget it.

63 x 78 inches
Modified the idea from a Sue Garmon pattern.
  
I'm trying to incorporate ruler work into all my quilts right now.
The white and blue fabrics (columns) were quilted with rulers.

You might say I made two graduation quilts.  I finished 35 blocks for the first one, then thought it was too boring. So I came up with this instead.  It ended being larger than I originally wanted because when I was designing I forgot to add the outside border twice!  The border is on top AND bottom, right AND left sides.  Oh well.  The borders are very wide because the print was larger and I wanted to use it all. 

Another heart stopping moment.  I washed it and it bled.  I knew the pink was a hand dye, but I thought it was OK.  After 4 washings, the last of which happened after I rubbed boiling water and dish soap into the bad spots, the quilt is acceptable. It is on it's way to the recipient.

I've been busy the past few weeks learning about Zoom for my guilds.  I'm disappointed that none of the 4 guilds of which I'm a member have had a virtual meeting.  My last guild meeting was March 11.  My Soroptimist club immediately went to Zoom, but the quilt guilds have been slow to respond.  I've been involved with several round tables and meetings AND I'm proud to announce my first guild will go virtual with small meetings this month and our first full guild meeting will be in August.  Yea!!  Happy dance!!

Thanks for checking in.
I hope you are staying safe.

1 comment:

  1. Love your Bonnie Hunter quilt and graduation quilt. I have a panicked moment everytime I wash a quilt!! You are doing amazing on our MG challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing.