Saturday, January 11, 2014

Friday Night Sew

Once a month a group meets at our local shop to have a Friday Night Sew.  We sew from 6:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.  I wasn't able to attend in person this month, so I hosted my own version at home.  A friend and I were able to keep in touch with the main group via text and phone.  It wasn't the same as being there in person, but I did get some work done.  What you don't know is that my "home" shop is 2 1/2 hours away!  I only make it in person when I can schedule mutliple events for the trip.

I worked on my fall quilt sampler that four of us are doing as a block of the month.  We're doing two blocks per month so we can have it finished in time for Fall 2014.  Yeah, right!?

Tonight I cut pieces for eleven blocks and put them together into "kits".  I already had block 1 complete.  I made it up to check my fabric choices.  After this all I have to do is lay out the pieces and sew.  It took quite a while tonight, but will save me time in the future.  Hopefully I can keep up with the group.
All pieces are cut and ready to "kit".
 
A friend made several of us a board to use to lay out blocks.
Here is block 2 ready to begin sewing.  The board really helps.
I can keep it right next to the sewing machine and the pieces don't fall off.
Fall Quilt.  Blocks 1 and 2 completed.



I'm still working on organizing my studio.  This week my contractor installed shelves above the window and desk.  All I've done so far is get my baskets moved.  Eventually I will be able to store "stuff" up there.


Thank you for checking in.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shelf. Cutting the fabrics ahead of time is smart. The most time consuming thing for me is squaring up all the half square triangles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing.